Saturday, August 24, 2013

Exciting Orchid Updates



The top two orchids are phalenopsis. The one on left is my newest plant, the one on right the largest. My newest orchid has tiny pink flowers which up until now I had only seen and enjoyed for the week I purchased it. My largest orchid has light purple flowers, and has bloomed 3 times in captivity and has created two offspring. I am excited to point out the new roots on both plants and light purple on the tips of their leaves which means they are doing quite well.  These orchids are growing in a peat moss wood chip blend.



The bottom two orchid are cattleya. The on the left is "blue", the one on right is "golden sunburst". Neither has bloomed in captivity yet. They both required extensive pruning of the root systems and leaves. If you notice brown powder around their bases, it is cinnamon. Cinnamon helps prevent root rot and pests.  I am overjoyed to point out the upward growing bullet shaped growths, which I believe will be new stems from which flowers will be capable of growing.  Also, the golden sunburst is growing new roots that are much greener and healthier than the mess of white roots it is poking through.  these orchids are growing in clear vases filled with 50/50 blend of water marbles, and clear glass marbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment